General

An open invitation to travelers everywhere: Project Alpha charitable book project

March 13, 2016
project alpha-2

As a child, I used to look up in wonder at planes passing by. They didn’t come across the Vietnam skies very often. One day, I thought, one day I will take to the skies and fly all over the world. Riddled by poverty, I never really gave that thought a chance. I remember huddling with my family in our makeshift home, stitched together by metal sheets. We could see stars from all the holes in the ceiling. But even so, we were the lucky ones.

Now, I still look up at the skies but not as a wondering eye. Now, I make airplanes. I fly on them whenever I want, and I’m living the dream I had as a boy. But looking down from my dream come true, I wonder who might be looking up at me, wishing they could fly too.

I started Project Alpha to give those eyes of wonder a chance to take to the skies. Project Alpha is a collaboration between travel writers from all over the world to tell their stories on the theme “the trip that changed my life.” These stories will be compiled in a book that will be crowdfunded – all proceeds from the campaign will be donated to charities that sponsor children all over the world.

Will you join me?

Click here to learn more and join this great cause.

fly

You Might Also Like

• Reply Becky Padmore
    March 14, 2016 at 8:04 am

Great idea and great cause, you have a good heart! 🙂

• Reply Hung Thai March 14, 2016 at 11:34 am

Thanks Becky and looking forward to reading your adapted story for this book project 🙂

• Reply Uvika Wahi
    March 14, 2016 at 8:12 am

Great initiative, wish you the best of luck with it!

• Reply Hung Thai March 14, 2016 at 11:35 am

Thanks Uvika.

• Reply Menorca
    March 14, 2016 at 8:40 am

That’s an excellent idea!Would love to join you:)
    Menorca recently posted this awesome article… Travelling to 4 cities in 3 countries for 100 euros: Budget travelMy Profile

• Reply Hung Thai March 14, 2016 at 11:35 am

Menorca, thanks! I’ll send you an email later today.

• Reply Lina March 14, 2016 at 11:27 am

We had similar dreams as children, and lucky for us our dream came true, and the reality is even more wondrous than I imagined! I’d love to help children of the new generation to have a chance to achieve their dreams too!

• Reply Hung Thai March 14, 2016 at 11:36 am

Giving back is not only fulfilling, I think it is the right thing to do – to give others a chance to make it too!

• Reply Michelle March 14, 2016 at 3:11 pm

What a great project. I absolutely can pinpoint the trip that turned my world upside down. Best of luck!
    Michelle recently posted this awesome article… 10 National Parks In and Around UtahMy Profile

• Reply Hung Thai March 14, 2016 at 4:59 pm

Thanks Michelle! I will send you an email later tonight with more details if you’d like to sign up.

• Reply Jenny
    March 14, 2016 at 6:31 pm

This sounds like a great idea! Only I’m not sure I could pinpoint one trip or story; it’s travel in general that has changed me. I’d love to read it when it comes out though!

• Reply Hung Thai March 14, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Hi Jenny 🙂 thanks for coming by. I am looking for a diverse pool of stories and perspectives. We can probably make yours work. You can write about travel in a more general sense. Let me send you an email in a bit and we can talk.

• Reply Tara
    March 14, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Excellent, my friend. I’m thrilled to be joining in.

• Reply Hung Thai March 14, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Thanks so much Tara! I’m so glad you’re on board 🙂

• Reply mark
    March 14, 2016 at 9:09 pm

What an amazing cause I hope you get the funding you need for this worth while project

• Reply Hung Thai March 14, 2016 at 9:18 pm

Thanks Mark. I hope so too, and you can help. You can sign up to receive notification for when the book is available on the crowd funding site, would you be interested in that?

• Reply Pinay Flying High
    March 14, 2016 at 10:48 pm

I have shared this to a travel blogger group who are all keen to join the project. I’m so excited! 🙂

• Reply Hung Thai March 15, 2016 at 7:21 am

Seriously? That would be AWESOME!!! Thank you so much. Please tell them to contact me directly OR you can forward me their information and I will contact them. You are awesome!

• Reply Kevin Wagar
    March 15, 2016 at 9:03 am

Hi Hung! I think this is a great project! We got your e-mail and would love to be involved.

• Reply Hung Thai March 15, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Kevin, great to hear from you! Thanks for signing up for this great cause. I will send you another email tonight with more details. WELCOME to the Team!

• Reply Karyn Jane
    March 15, 2016 at 10:13 pm

What a fantastic idea Hung! I wish you all the very best in this project. The finished result sounds like it will be awesome. 🙂

• Reply Hung Thai March 15, 2016 at 10:23 pm

Thanks Karyn. I’m very excited to be able to read everyone’s stories.

• Reply Frank March 16, 2016 at 1:44 am

Hi Hung Thai. You should write your story sometime, I didn’t realize you were Vietnamese or that you had a poor background. Would be interested in hearing more about it.
    Good luck with the initiative!
    Frank (bbqboy)
    Frank recently posted this awesome article… Is Bratislava worth a day trip from Vienna?My Profile

• Reply Hung Thai March 16, 2016 at 4:49 pm

Thanks Frank, I intend to do JUST THAT in the book. Perhaps I can sign you up for notification when it’s available for crowd funding?

• Reply Maddy
    March 16, 2016 at 9:27 am

I liked hearing a bit more about your background. What you have managed to accomplish is amazing and I love that you want to give back now.
    I’m so so excited about this. I think I know what I’m going to write about, too… 🙂
    Maddy recently posted this awesome article… 5 Undiscovered European Breweries You Should Know AboutMy Profile

• Reply Hung Thai March 16, 2016 at 4:51 pm

I was thinking maybe all the writers should have a web get together on Skype or something to meet each other and just talk a bit. I’d like to use this project to help people connect and support each other as well 🙂

• Reply Maddy
        March 17, 2016 at 9:58 am

That would be really cool! It might be hard to get everyone, depending on their time zones, but I think that would be lots of fun! 🙂

• Reply Hung Thai March 17, 2016 at 9:10 pm

You’ve convinced me that this is a cool thing to do hehe; I’ll look into maybe a chat room or something like that… man I haven’t been in a chat room in ages! Do those exist anymore? LOL

• Reply Nancy March 17, 2016 at 8:50 pm

You are living your dream! How many of us have followed through and are truly doing that? Not many! You are an inspiration to so many to prove it can be done!
    Nancy recently posted this awesome article… A Day in DubrovnikMy Profile

• Reply Hung Thai March 17, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Thanks Nancy 🙂

• Reply Samantha
    March 20, 2016 at 5:03 am

I absolutely love your style of writing and LOVE this idea. I don’t have anything that pops out at me about a ‘trip that changed my life’..but I am looking forward to reading this book when it comes out! Congrats!

• Reply Hung Thai March 20, 2016 at 11:06 am

Thank you so much Samantha. Is it okay that I add you to the Project Alpha contact list to let you know when the campaign does come out?

• Reply Paul March 20, 2016 at 7:45 am

What a great idea and very thoughtful indeed! I’m pleased that you are living your dreams and it just shows that sheer determination does pay off!

• Reply Hung Thai March 20, 2016 at 11:07 am

Thanks Paul. I’m indebted to my team of writers, ambassadors and editors! And my life journey has been wild indeed, but I hope that by sharing I could inspire others to strive forth as well.

• Reply Alana Gidycz
    March 20, 2016 at 8:41 pm

This is a great concept!
    Alana Gidycz recently posted this awesome article… Tokyo Takeover: Give Me All Your Beer and BourbonMy Profile

• Reply Hung Thai March 20, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Thanks Alana 🙂

• Reply Natalie
    May 13, 2016 at 10:24 am

What an awesome idea! Are you still accepting submissions?
    Natalie recently posted this awesome article… Why Write About Celiac Disease on a Family Travel Blog?My Profile