Trips

Linger and explore the idyllic deep cove

February 13, 2016
deep_cove_featured

Traveler, travelers, stay a while and listen here. I’ll tell you of a place you’ll want to hear. Outside Vancouver’s downtown limits, up north and east a short way is a place secluded from the daily toll, where the morning fog lingers at the tree line and the calm water soothes the soul. The quiet neighborhood along the waterfront basks in the morning lights. And the views – oh the views will take up all your camera’s megabytes.

Walkers, joggers, and runners, too, all beat to the rhythm of the bobbing water blue. Look! There’s a couple intertwined, walking down the pier with their hearts aligned. And in the distance a kayaker sets out to explore Deep Cove; perhaps he’ll return with loot from a treasure trove.

vanc-33

So this was the scene which we found ourselves in early January, 30 minutes from the busy streets and bustling shops of Downtown Vancouver. The drive was smooth once we got out of the city. It seemed we were the only ones driving up here, at least at this time of the year. I’m sure in the summer Deep Cove would attract locals and tourists alike.

vanc-36

The air was at that perfect cold temperature that refreshes you and doesn’t hurt you. We made it out to the pier as sunlight invaded the cove and stood there admiring the idyllic scenery until our faces told us to get warmth. Standing at the end of the waterfront, a kayak rental shop stayed closed. This would be an epic spot to come back in the summer, I thought.

vanc-39

You can rent the kayaks and go deep into the cove (I guess that’s why it’s called Deep Cove). From the pier you’d be able to paddle all the way up to Croker Island and Iron Bay. I wonder what kind of natural beauty lay beyond the pier and the horizon in front of us, but I intend to find out this summer. Perhaps I could commandeer one of the boats docked along the pier but that would require me knowing how to commandeer things and how to drive a boat.

vanc-34

vanc-32

We left the pier and headed to Arms Reach Bistro. The staff was very nice and gave us seating outside accompanied by warm blankets. I’ve been to Vancouver many times and have eaten in many excellent restaurants, but the spicy pasta from Arms Reach Bistro has to rank up there in the top 3 dishes I’ve eaten in the Greater Vancouver area. It’s just the right amount of spicy and the flavoring was delicious. I’m definitely coming back here.

vanc-43

After lunch we said our good-byes to this sleepy and picturesque little town. I felt unsatisfied. That water looked too nice to be left un-swam in, un-kayaked, and unexplored. The adventurer in me will not rest until Deep Cove has been thoroughly traversed.

vanc-49

vanc-48

Leaving Deep Cove, we stopped by Cates Park along the way. There are several small beaches here and a boat ramp that overlook an industrial Vancouver on the other side. We walked out on the pier and discovered that many locals had congregated here to try their luck catching crabs. They didn’t need luck at all actually. With homemade crab traps, crabbers young and old were tossing them in and reeling them back with crabs crawling all over. Most of them were thrown back because they didn’t meet size specifications, but I was amazed at how easy it was to catch one. Cates Park was a short visit but was memorable. I truly liked how people here lived. I could picture myself living in this small town atmosphere so close to the metropolis that is Vancouver.

vanc-56

vanc-55

If you’re ever in Vancouver, put Deep Cove on your itinerary – you’ll be pleasantly surprised. For another side trip outside of downtown Vancouver, read Easy hike, amazing rewards – off the beaten path in Vancouver, BC.

Travel on my friends!

PIN THIS!

deep_cove_pinterest

You Might Also Like

• Reply Lina February 13, 2016 at 10:14 am

Deep cove is so close to Vancouver yet it’s a like a different world. It’s got the small town charm yet you won’t feel too secluded

• Reply Hung Thai February 13, 2016 at 11:59 am

The best part is that it’s so close!

• Reply Tiffany Wei February 13, 2016 at 12:06 pm

OMG gotta love that awesome fog hugging the trees – so mystical!

• Reply Hung Thai February 13, 2016 at 12:13 pm

Mystical is an excellent word to describe it! 🙂

• Reply Arlene February 15, 2016 at 6:20 am

I’ve been to Vancouver 3 times but never been here. Beautiful.

• Reply Hung Thai February 15, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Hi Arlene, thanks for stopping by :). I’ve been to Vancouver 7-8 times before I discovered this place – or well, left the confines of the city to explore other parts. So yeah, I understand where you’re coming from. 🙂

• Reply Maddy
    February 15, 2016 at 3:03 pm

First of all, I love your rhyming piece at the beginning. So beautiful and creative! Secondly, your photos are gorgeous. Thirdly, I WANT THAT PASTA NOW. Love everything about this post. Thanks for sharing! 🙂
    Maddy recently posted this awesome article… A Road Trip to Baja California, MexicoMy Profile

• Reply Hung Thai February 15, 2016 at 5:03 pm

Thanks Maddy! I’m still new to blogging so I’m just trying different things to see what works best for me so thanks for the encouragement. As for the pasta… YES, it is as good as it looks!

• Reply Rachel Heller
    February 15, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Beautiful pictures! Idyllic does seem the right word to describe Deep Cove!

• Reply Hung Thai February 15, 2016 at 9:42 pm

Yes! Thanks Rachel 🙂

• Reply Iris
    February 17, 2016 at 5:23 pm

Your photos are just beautiful. It looks like a fantastic place to visit!

• Reply Hung Thai February 17, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Thanks Iris! Deep Cove is an amazing place to visit and I would highly recommend it – it’s so peaceful you’ll forget all your troubles.

• Reply Sand In My Suitcase
    February 19, 2016 at 7:34 am

As we live in Vancouver, we’re able to go to Deep Cove at least a couple of times each summer. It’s a lovely spot for a picnic, to rent stand-up paddleboards and go paddleboarding and to swim (the water is quite warm in high summer and very calm). There’s always lots of shade from the surrounding cedar trees and the grass is nice to spread our blanket on. One of Vancouver’s best attractions! (Your photos capture it nicely.)

• Reply Hung Thai February 19, 2016 at 9:00 am

Awesome! Your suggestion is exactly what I plan on doing this summer. Have you kayak deeper into the cove? I saw on google map how long it was and thought to myself how incredible it must be to paddle into the cove, find a place to do and have a picnic.

• Reply Andi
    February 19, 2016 at 11:26 am

I would drive to Deep Cove just for that pasta. I love Vancouver and hope to get up there this summer, I will have to get over to this little slice of heaven!

• Reply Hung Thai February 19, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Yes! If you try that pasta, please let me know how you like it. I’ll be up there again this summer to kayak that cove, maybe we’ll run into each other 🙂

• Reply Becky Padmore
    February 19, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Wow such atmospheric photos, looks magical – I’m sold 😉

• Reply Hung Thai February 19, 2016 at 1:28 pm

Thanks Becky 🙂 – I was sold the moment I opened my car door and saw the cove in its entirety the first time.